By using these forums you are agreeing to follow our Forum Rules. The NoFollow tag is enabled. Trolling will not be tolerated.

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Hi
ben327
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:32:58 PM

Groups: Registered

Hi my name is Ben and I have been overweight most of my life. I quit smoking after 14 years 3 years ago, I weighed 220lbs. Last December I went to see my doctor my weight was 272lbs and my blood pressure was 144/100, obviously he said that I needed to do something. I have been dieting, watching my calories, and walking on the treadmill at least 40 minutes every day, Now my weight is 238lbs and for the first time I am happy about being on a diet. I work away from home so I used eat out 5 nights a week usually fast food, it has been hard not eating the foods that I am used to, even harder than quiting smoking. Now my diet consists of fruit, salads, yogurt,wrap sandwiches from gas stations, subway, and frozen dinners like weight watchers. I would like advice on things and/or places I can eat away from home. I am learning that there are other things to eat besides cheeseburgers, but I think the biggest thing I needed to work on was my portions. When I would go to a fast food place I always would get two meals, now I haven't had any of this stuff in almost 4 months. Me and my wife have a 7 year old daughter we always tried to teach her better eating habits than our parents taught us. I am learning so much about healthy foods now, and it has changed the way I think about what she eats. Its only been 4 months but its hard to believe the junk that I used to eat, I miss some of it but I am much happier this way and I know I will be succesfull. My goal is to be 200lbs and maintain that weight, hopefully I will reach that by this september. I am looking forward to advice and support from people like myself.
Sponsor  

matthew
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:44:35 PM

Groups: Admin, Administrators, ModeratorCalorie, Registered

Hello Ben and Welcome!

Thank you for sharing that story. You got me at 'portion' control, as thats my biggest hurdle.

If I buy a bag of chips or some other kind of snack, I cant control myself and I end up eating the whole thing. ><

Sooo, this may sound silly but it works, I actually bought a cheap little digital safe. About $30 at Walmart. I put all my goodies in there and give it and the combo to my wife. This has actually helped me portion my snacks a bit.

On eating out, this is tough. Usually the first place that I always look for is Subway. But then if that cannot be found or is impossible, then it comes down to portion control. I am week in this area, so I 'try' to give it over to my wife.

Happy Dieting!